Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Gender Influences

In Deborah Blum's article "What's the Difference between Boys and Girls?", she addresses the roles biology and culture play in influencing how boys and girls develop in to their respective gender patterns. She writes about the plethora of research regarding the biology of the different sexes, desrcibing the facts that we are hard-wired in to certain behaviors and mannerisms from conception. In our culture here in the United States, we have pretty particular ideas as to what is appropriate for a boy to do and appropriate for a girl, and an entire group of people who spend a lot of energy trying to revoke those ideas. Or is it ideals?

A few years ago, my brother, his wife, and my 3 year old nephew lived downstairs from me. I remember that whenever I had a pretty girlfriend over, he would come upstairs to admire them, acting bashful at first, and then becoming bold, sticking out his hand saying "Nice to meet you!" He ONLY acted this way around pretty girls- everyone else he wouldn't pay much notice to, wouldn't make good eye contact, and would not stick around for long. My dad would laugh and say "Yup, he's hardwired for that!" I don't want to get in to sexuality in this post, but I believe it is something that is innate in each individual, regardless of gender and later life choices.

I thought it was interesting that Blum mentioned the fact that although these behaviors are ingrained in to our biological makeup, it is also experience and environment that can help to shape a person further. A man might be born with more testosterone, but if he is brought up with a lot of one on one time with his mother or other affectionate women, he may make choices to stay at home with the children while his partner works, causing his testosterone levels to be lowered. A woman might be born with very feminine characteristics, but if she chooses to work in a highly competetive environment, she will grow a "thicker skin" and produce higher levels of testosterone.

Blum states: "Nothing in biology labels behaviors as right or wrong, normal or abnormal. Any stereotypes we impose on children--and, by extension, adults--are purely cultural, not biological." I couldn't agree more. But it shouldn't have to be a battle waged against culture to try to and prevent these stereotypes from influencing how our chidren turn out. Certain things are without a doubt biological, and if the boy wants to wear a dress, maybe he just likes how it feels. It doesn't mean he's going to go get a sex change. At least we live in a society where we are able to make the choices for ourselves, woman or man, male or female.

1 comment:

  1. I disagree with letting boys wear dresses if they want, but not because I think they are going to want a sex change in the future, or become gay (I personally think there is nothing wrong with either) more because of the way society would treat them. They would be teased in school, and have few if any friends. Don't get me wrong I think there is nothing wrong with small children of opposite sexes playing together, whether it be trucks, guns or dolls. Once kids start school I think it would harm their development, being thought of as different. Kids once they start school they are more inclined to play with children of the same gender and that continues into adulthood. Not because its right or wrong, but because thats what our society expects.

    ReplyDelete